Friday, November 10, 2006

Les Claypool - Of Whales and Woe

Les Claypool is one talented musician. He is of course the genius bass player behind Primus. I probably first heard Primus back when Tales from the Punchbowl came out, and "Winona's Big Brown Beaver" was a hit. They were just a little too weird for me at first, then a few years later I heard "Shake Hands With Beef." That song has the best bass line I have ever heard. I then became a fan, and Les Claypool became my favorite bass player.

Now, Primus is long gone. There's a greatest hits CD out now, but I'll instead review Claypool's newest solo album. But before I do that, I'll discuss some of his other non-Primus work. Oysterhead was his collaboration with Trey Anastasio of Phish, and it's worth checking out their album, The Grand Pecking Order. Another Claypool album I recommend is a live album he did which is a straight note for note tribute to Pink Floyd's Animals. Les captures Waters' sneering voice on "Pigs" perfectly.

Of Whales and Woe is pretty much what I've come to expect from Claypool: deep intricate bass lines, strange lyrics and rhythms, and his singing as nasal as ever. Some singers I don't care for that style too much, but it works with Claypool.

"One Better" is a great song. The bass carries the song as usual, and it's a good rocker. The percussion on it is great, and it sounds like someone's banging away on bones, or some sort of xylophone instrument. I especially like the deep voices on the chorus, followed by Les's sneering half spoken lines. There's also a saxophone that appears on this and many other tracks.

Another favorite on this CD is "Vernon the Company Man." It sounds Indian, with a tabla (drums) and sitar, or similar sounding instruments. The lyrics are typical of Claypool as he sings about Vernon, and his ex-wife, and ex-dog as well. Just weird, but what else would you expect?

On "Iowan Gal" he uses what sounds to me like an acoustic bass, and it sounds amazing. "Robot Chicken" is of course the theme song to Seth Green's quirky television show on Cartoon Network's Adult Swim.

This album is pretty much what I'd expect to hear from Les Claypool. His back-up band of the xylophone and other percussion instruments along with the saxophone really make an interesting combination. Of Whales and Woe is really a lot of fun.

For further reading:
Les Claypool's homepage
All Music Guide's Les Claypool entry
Wikipedia's Les Claypool entry

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home