Sunday, November 05, 2006

Zero 7-The Garden

I first heard of Zero 7, like most people, when I first heard "In The Waiting Line." The song was featured prominently in Garden State, as well as in an HBO promo. I quickly became a fan of their laid back sound. I listened to Simple Things, and was very much impressed. However, with their latest effort, The Garden, they have blown me away. It's becoming one of my favorite CDs of the downtempo genre.

Zero 7 is just two guys, but they also feature guest vocalists on their albums. For The Garden, these vocalists are Sia Furler and José González. González sings on "Futures," my favorite song on the album. The acoustic guitars, drums, and synthesizers combine to create a '70s atmosphere. González's vocals remind me of the Alan Parsons Project. The whole song reminds me of that style in fact. I really like the harmonies too.

"Throw It All Away" features Sia Furler on vocals. I really like the beat of this song, and the subtle use of horns. The chorus is a nice change of pace from the verse. Another part I like about this song is the tinny acoustic guitar solo.

Sia also sings on "The Pageant Of The Bizarre" which has a nice carnival fear to it. The melody goes all around you, just pulling you in. But it's the next track with Sia I really like. "You're My Flame" has a fun bouncy beat, and good lyrics.
You're just dodging all the friendly fire
You're never dressed in the right attire
You miss the start of every game
You're my flame

You make hay when the sun don't shine
You don't need a dollar, you don't need a dime
You burn at both ends yet still you're fine
You're my flame


González sings again on "Today," which has a '70s salsa beat to it along with horns. It reminds of the Burt Bacharach sound. Bacharach meets Alan Parsons Project, yet updated for the 21st century. "Crosses" also gives me the same kind of feel.

My second favorite song on the CD is "This Fine Social Scene." It has a darker sound to it than the other songs on the album. The melody makes the song, and Sia's seductive, soulful voice is another highlight.

There's really not a bad song on this entire album. It's fine, and solid, and in my opinion the best Zero 7 album yet. There's bright things in their future, especially if they keep finding such talented singers to work with.

For further reading:
Zero 7's homepage
All Music Guide's Zero 7 entry
Wikipedia's Zero 7 entry

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I am trying to learn to love Tool. I come from alternative-punk-folk-Tom Waits musical background, and at first listen Tool sounds like of like NiN meets Metallica to me...this is not a good thing. However, one of the smartest people I've ever met insists that Tool change/saved his life...Any recommendations on "easing in"?

8:15 AM, November 15, 2006  
Blogger Tom said...

Well I like both NiN and Metallica, NiN more than the other, but what I think makes Tool different is the use of unusual rhythms and the like. The first album (Undertow) has shorter, heavier songs. I really don't know what I'd recommend for a first album. Probably either Aenima or Lateralus. They show change and growth with each album.

Actually, probably the best way to ease in is to give A Perfect Circle a listen. The band has the same singer as Tool and some similarities, but more alt rock friendly.

10:20 AM, November 15, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home