Friday, October 27, 2006

Goldfrapp - Supernature

I subscribe to a online streaming service called Rhapsody. Sometimes when I feel like discovering new music I pick a genre, and play the top 100 or so songs in that genre. I find new bands I like that way. This is how I discovered Goldfrapp; I was surfing the trip hop genre. I wasn't much into electronica in the 1990s, but it's starting to grow on me, thanks to bands like Zero 7 and Massive Attack.

Goldfrapp isn't as downtempo as the other electronic bands I like. Instead the synthesizer is more pumping. What I really like about this band is the bass lines. It sticks in my head and won't go away. I also think Alison Goldfrapp has an enthralling voice.

I can't really say why I like each individual song on this album, because they all basically have that synthesizer/voice/percussion combination that draws me in. There's pretty much two types of songs on Supernature, fast ones and slow ones. A few of my favorite fast ones are "Ooh La La," "Lovely 2 C U," and "Ride A White Horse."

The slower songs remind me more of the downtempo style I like. Electronica can be good background music to just zone out to. Sure, none of Goldfrapp's stuff is as laid back as Zero 7, but it's still good stuff. Slow songs I like on Supernature are "You Never Know," and "Let It Take You."

"Satin Chic" stands out from the rest of the songs to me. It uses a honky-tonk piano, giving the song a saloon-like feel. Combined with the synthesizer, it's just a really odd mix. That's what I like about it.

Sure, most of the songs all sound similar, and I really can't describe how they differ. Still, this is an album I find myself listening to repeatedly, and it's kind of a fun one.

For further reading:
Goldfrapp's homepage
All Music Guide's Goldfrapp entry
Wikipedia's Goldfrapp entry

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home