Monday, October 30, 2006

Ben Folds - Supersunnyspeedgraphic: the LP

NOTE TO READER: This post contains FOUL LANGUAGE. If you are easily offended, go read Dr. Seuss instead today.

To say Ben Folds' latest release is "new" is not really true. It's not a greatest hits album, but it's still a compilation. All the songs on it have been previously released. How long ago? Well, I saw Ben Folds in concert in fall of 2003, and he performed at least "All U Can Eat." The EP it was on came out soon afterwards. Before Songs for Silverman, Ben released three EPs: Speed Graphic, Sunny 16, and Super D. Supersunnyspeedgraphic: the LP contains selected songs from these EPs, as well as a few others. Supposedly Ben reproduced these songs to make the album more than just a compilation, but I don't hear the differences myself.

It's a good selection of songs. If you don't have all the previous EPs, it's worth the purchase. For the casual fan, it's probably better than getting the EPs. Of the songs selected, the only one I could think of left off I would have liked to have had was "Give Judy My Notice."

The CD has a few cover songs on it, the first is the Cure's "In Between Days." I must admit I do like the Cure. Folds does a great job covering the tune, with his fervent piano playing, and although his voice is different from Robert Smith's, it still catches the same spirit.

The second cover song is Dr. Dre's "Bitches Ain't Shit." I have never really listened to much Dre, at least not the stuff that wouldn't get played on the radio. And this song definitely wouldn't get airplay. It's funny though to hear Ben singing such obscene lyrics with a soft piano accompaniment. I laugh each time I hear this foul song.

Like I said, Ben played "All U Can Eat" when I saw him live. Normally when I see a band live (and I'm sure this is true for most people) I want to hear the old stuff. When they say "this is a new song" I get antsy because I'd rather become familiar with a song first before I hear it live. However, I loved this song the first time I heard it. Why? The lyrics really speak to me. Ben sings about fat, spoiled Americans, and how ignorant we are about the problems of the world.
They give no fuck
They buy as much as they would want
They give no fuck
Just as long as there's enough
For them


I like the full orchestra on "Songs of Love" and "Learn to Live With What You Are." It really gives both songs a nice touch, and shows Folds' talents. "Rent A Cop" and "Get Your Hands Off My Woman" both make me chuckle, and show Ben's light side. The second song is actually another cover, this time originally by The Darkness, whom I detest.

Another one of my favorites on the album is "There's Always Someone Cooler Than You." This reminds me more of the songs Ben used to do when he was in the Ben Folds Five. I know there's really not much difference between the Five and Ben's solo stuff, but still this song harkens back to Ben's younger days.

Overall, the compilation of all these years of Ben's work really make a complete solid album. I'm not sure I'd say it's his best since going solo, that's probably still Rocking the Suburbs. But I do like it more than Songs for Silverman.

For further reading:
Ben Folds' homepage
All Music Guide's Ben Folds entry
Wikipedia's Ben Folds entry

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home