Sunday, October 29, 2006

Son Volt - Trace

If I were to say my favorite band of the so-called alt country genre, I'd be hard pressed to choose between Wilco and Son Volt. There's something about Jay Farrar's voice that draws me into Son Volt, but at the same time, Wilco's range of styles is great. But if you asked me to pick my favorite alt country album, it's hands-down Son Volt's Trace.

Trace kicks off with my favorite song on the CD, "Windfall." A simple acoustic guitar starts the song, but is soon joined by a steel guitar, as Farrar sings the sad, haunting verse. The chorus brings in the fiddle, and the song sounds pure country. Not the new Nashville sound, but that old time bluegrass feel. In fact, this song is about music and its effect on people, as Farrar sings about finding a radio station playing old time country music and letting "the wind take your troubles away."

"Live Free" has more electric guitars to go with the acoustic and steel guitars, and therefore is more rock than the previous song. It still has that twangy sound, especially Farrar's voice. I really like the heavy drumming in the pre-chorus and the memorable guitar riff that introduces the chorus.

The most haunting song on the CD by far is "Tear-Stained Eye." The acoustic guitar and banjo play what sounds like the traditional Travis picking, and the steel guitar plays the haunting melody. But it's Jay Farrar's voice that give the song its aching feel. It's another one of my all-time Son Volt favorites.

In contrast to "Eye," "Route" rocks pretty hard. It's one of those songs that get you drumming your steering wheel when you're driving. I'll admit I do it, if you do. The song even has a short heavy guitar solo to end the song.

The acoustic guitar work on "Ten Second News" is very well done. To my ear, it sounds like dropped D tuning, which gives it a real low feel. It's backed by steel guitar again, but it's the acoustic that stands out to me. And of course, Farrar sings this one very well too.

I only recently got into Son Volt, listening to their entire back catalog. I can't remember when I started listening to them, but I know I was looking forward to Okemah and the Melody of Riot. However, I do remember hearing "Drown" on the radio all the time in 1995. I love the use of cowbell. In fact, it needs more cowbell. I got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. Seriously what always stuck out to me about that song was the chorus: "If living right is easy, What goes wrong, You're causing it to, Drown..."

The next song is another rocker. The best part of "Loose String" to me is the lyrics:
Loose string
Find the pieces don't fit in
Loose string
Coming up for air again and again
Loose string
Too much living is no way to die


"Out of the Picture" sounds slowed down to me, but it could be just my imagination. It features more Travis picking, and more heart-wrenching lyrics. Farrar sings about how sometimes life seems so futile, that no matter what you do, time passes you by and you're out of the picture.

"Catching On" brings back the rocker side of Son Volt. The electric guitars make this song. Other than that I can't really say much about this song to differentiate it from the rest of this brilliant album.

The next song, "Too Early," takes the acoustic and steel guitar that's been used throughout the CD and adds an accordion. It gives the song a bayou sound, another style of folk/country music I like.

Another one of my favorites, "Mystifies Me," closes out the album. Farrar's voice sounds distant, and the bass guitar really stands out. Apparently the song is by Ron Wood, off of his 1974 solo album, I've Got My Own Album To Do. I really like the intricate guitar work on this song.

This is the album that got me hooked on alt country. Give it a listen, and it might hook you too.

For further reading:
Son Volt's homepage
All Music Guide's Son Volt entry
Wikipedia's Son Volt entry

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home