Thursday, November 02, 2006

The String Quartet Tribute to Tool's Aenima

I'm going to do something different here and review an album that really isn't rock. I like cover songs. And I also love orchestral or other instrumental arrangements of rock music that don't sound like simple elevator music. When I found that a string quartet had done not just an arrangement of Tool, but the entire Aenima album I had to give it a listen.

From the opening notes of "Stinkfist" I realized these musicians have some serious talent. They make sounds with the strings I didn't know where possible. I can't even begin to guess how they make the clicking and screeching noises that keep the music in the spirit of Tool.

"Eulogy" is by far my favorite song they cover, in all its eight-plus minute glory. It's almost as dark as Tool, and you still get the feel of the driving rhythms, and although the part I love best about Tool is Maynard's voice and the drums, this song still sounds awesome in a string instrumental version.

The bass and cello in "H." sound like something from a Mahler symphony. I can hear percussive beats, but I don't know how they do it. Sticks against instruments? I have no clue. "Useful Idiot" follows and sounds down right scary as the strings build then suddenly stop.

"Message to Harry Manback" translates very well to strings. This version sounds very 19th century, and reminds me of the soundtrack to a PC game I once played called Arcanum.

"Intermission" bounces along in the spirit of the carnival music Tool used in the original album. Pizzicato strings help add to the cheerful sound of the short tune which of course leads into "Jimmy," which has the same melody to begin with, but a much darker tone. The strings do a good job showing the contrast between the two tunes.

The metallic echoes in "Die Eier von Satan" are really creepy. They even include vocals in this one, through some kind of synthesizer or something. This time, the recitation is in English, though still hard to make out. AND NO EGGS!

All the songs on this album are very well done, and better than what I would have expected from an arrangement of Tool using only four string instruments. Of course, it's not for everyone's taste. If you like Tool cause it's hard metal, you might pass on this. If you like Tool for its dark, experimental melodies and rhythms, give this a shot.

For further reading:
Vitamin records homepage
All Music Guide's The String Quartet Tribute to Tool's Aenima entry
Wikipedia's The String Quartet Tribute entry

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home