Saturday, October 21, 2006

The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds

The album that challenged the Beatles to record Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. Brian Wilson's epic masterpiece. Long picked at the top or near the top of best records ever made. And my personal favorite album, if I had to pick one. Why? Why not Revolver or Rubber Soul or something by even Pink Floyd?

True, there's tons of bands I love more than the Beach Boys, but Brian Wilson truly put his heart and soul into this album, and shows. To me it's the most emotional record by any band, let alone the Beach Boys.

The record opens with "Wouldn't It Be Nice," a song about teenage love, wishing they could make a real commitment. The opening guitars followed by that single drum beat just let you know you're in for something special from the get-go. It has the perfect balance of soft and wishful, followed by ecstatic joy of young love.

Next is "You Still Believe In Me" with its use of a bicycle bell and toy horns. The lyrics reach to the heart as Brian sings about how he isn't happy with how he's acting, but his love still stays beside him. The best part is the outro as the Beach Boys display their talented harmonies.

"That's Not Me" follows, this time with Mike Love on lead. The song doesn't really stand out until the key changes as Mike sings "I once had a dream, so I packed up and went to the city, I soon found out that my lonely life wasn't so pretty." He repeats it, and you get the pain behind lost dreams.

Another great love song is next, "Don't Talk (Put Your Head On My Shoulder)." This song is really haunting and sad, yet sweet and romantic. But just as you're about to fall asleep, the drums are back with "I'm Waiting For The Day." It starts out kind of slow after the drums but soon it picks up with full drums, backing vocals, and Brian Wilson proclaiming his love for a broken-hearted girl, while emphasizing his patience for when she's ready. Just when you think it's over with a soft string interlude, the drums are back with Brian singing he won't sit back and let the girl go.

Next is a short instrumental, "Let's Go Away For Awhile." It's nice, but really the vocals and lyrics make this album, so I'm just waiting for one of my favorite songs to follow.

That song is the "Sloop John B." I really like the bass and guitar lines on this song. Sure, it's a traditional, and we all know the words, but the Beach Boys give it their own flavor. It's one of those songs that can cheer me up every time I hear it, like Jimmy Buffet's "Margaritaville." The harmonies are at their best in this song too, especially at the a capella section. And if you're listening on the vinyl, so ends side one.

Side two opens with the best love song ever written, at least for a current love. "Yesterday" by the Beatles is my favorite break up song. "God Only Knows" evokes religion in a time when it was seldom done. It also features a rarity with Carl Wilson on lead vocals. He gives it the proper achingly in love sound. The lyrics make the song of course, but the instrumentation is also amazing. The song ends with Carl, Brian, and Bruce Johnston passing the chorus around, which is a nice effect.

"I Know There's An Answer" originally had a more negative outlook to it under the name "Hang On To Your Ego." I like the original version, but I guess the second version fits better with the idealistic feel of the record.

I especially like the organs that open up "Here Today." This song is more cautionary than the other love songs on the album, as the band warns of the dangers of fleeting love. Especially since "I'm the guy she left when you found her." The song has a long instrumental interlude in the middle that reminds me of a carnival. Perhaps the message is love is like a carnival, only in town for a short time.

Next is another Brian Wilson masterpiece, "I Just Wasn't Made For These Times." Here, the Boys make full use of the orchestra. Brian really pours his heart and soul into this one (in fact he says so in the lyrics.) The call and response section is really touching. I'm sure there's times all of us have agreed with Brian, and wish we lived in simpler times. Unfortunately, those times never existed. Or maybe he longs for days to come, but I don't think they'll arrive either.

The album wraps up with "Pet Sounds," another instrumental with a nice bass line and unique instrumentation, and "Caroline No." The harmonies on this song are amazing. It makes a perfect end to the record, and the harpsichord is a nice touch. It's really a heart breaking song, and I can see why Brian has named it his favorite.

I really think it's the whole idealism of youth that wins me over with this record. I have long been a cynic, but there's a side of me that longs for a softer me. I wish I could open myself as much as Brian Wilson did with this album.

For further reading:
The Beach Boys' homepage
All Music Guide's Beach Boys entry
Wikipedia's Beach Boys entry

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home