Saturday, October 21, 2006

Sean Lennon - Friendly Fire

There's only one reason I decided to give this album a listen, and it's the obvious one. Sean is the child of those two hippies in that song "The Ballad of John and Yoko." I was hoping this album would have some glimpses of his father, and none of his mother.

Well, I got half of what I wished for. Sean does seem to have his own sound. It's nasally, sappy, and over sentimental. The music is well orchestrated and poppy, but I just can't get into it.

In "Parachute," the guitars are nice and subtle, and the drums are well laid down, and the harmonies are nice. But Sean is singing clichés like "Love is like an airplane, you jump and pray" and "Life is a stage." All backed with "la la las." Sorry, I'm just not 15 any more.

"Spectacle" has more sappy lyrics, but "Would I Be The One" has a psychedelic feel to it, but none of the other songs really stuck in my mind. Overall Sean reminds me more of Paul than his father. And it's the over-romantic side of Paul. I give this album a pass.

For further reading:
Sean Lennon's homepage
All Music Guide's Sean Lennon entry
Wikipedia's Sean Lennon entry

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home