Friday, November 24, 2006

Foo Fighters - Skin and Bones

When Kurt Cobain died all those years ago, it didn't really affect me much. I wasn't really into the alternative thing at the time, I was still deep in my love of classic rock. Then Dave Grohl formed the Foo Fighters, and "Big Me" was on MTV all the time. Grohl's light-hearted spirit drew me to the band. My brother got their second album, The Colour and the Shape, and around the same time I started learning guitar. I tried to learn "Everlong" and "My Hero." Although I've liked all the Foo albums since then, none really were as monumental to me as that one.

Skin and Bones is their first live album, quite late in their career. However, it's a stripped down acoustic concert, probably inspired by the second disc of their last CD, In Your Honor. That double album had a disc of normal rockers, followed by one of acoustic numbers. This live CD covers songs from both discs, as well as earlier songs, but all acoustic. Foo Fighters Unplugged, if you remember the hit '90s MTV concert series.

"Razor" is one of those acoustic songs. The live version therefore sounds similar to the original, and adds little at the beginning. However, it's a good example of the finger work Grohl is capable of. Near the end it does get a little heavier than the original, with an extended instrumental solo.

"Over and Out" is also one of the In Your Honor acoustic songs. It's one of my favorites. Like the studio version, the song starts out quiet at the verses, then intensifies at the chorus. It makes for a powerful song, even if the live version isn't really that much different.

"Walking After You" is a perfect song for this concert, and has always been a strong favorite of mine. After all these years, Grohl still sings it earnestly as it deserves.

"Marigold" was originally a Nirvana song. I don't remember it at all. Like I said, I wasn't a fan. Still, it's interesting to see Grohl bring up a song from his old band. Probably enough time has passed now and he's established his own career, so the Foo Fighters are no longer just perceived as "that Nirvana spin-off."

"My Hero" is of course one of the big hits off one of the best sophomore efforts of all time. Acoustically, the song sounds much different. The guitars still have the same effect on me. Also joining the guitars are organs and bells. I don't think I like this version better than the original, but I still like it. It's just different, and still a powerful song.

"Next Year" was the theme song for Ed. At least, that's how I always remember it. This version has mellotron added to it, as well as what sounds to me like an accordion. The translation to acoustic guitars work well, and the song still sounds as full as the studio version.

"Another Round" is also from the acoustic disc of their last album. I really like the use of accordion on this song, as well as what I think is a mandolin. They go well with the maudlin theme of the song.

"Big Me" returns the Fighters to their Mentos-loving beginnings. This version is accompanied by a piano. This song doesn't really work for me acoustically at first, but by the third verse it picks up some. The vocals of Petra Haden are a nice touch as well.

"Cold Day in The Sun" is the fourth of the songs from their acoustic disc. Strangely enough though, this version is actually electric. It sounds heavier than the studio version as a result.

"Skin and Bones" is the album's sole original song. It begins with just a soft acoustic guitar and Grohl's vocals. The drums and organ enter in later, and the song is rather haunting. I'll be interested to see if they'll release a studio version of this song eventually.

"February Stars" makes good use of organs and chimes to give the live version an ethereal feel to it. This is another one of my favorite Foo Fighter songs, and this version does it justice. It's a beautiful rendition giving new life to an old standard of theirs.

"Times Like These" is the sole representation from One by One. It's much slower here, and sounds like a new song as a result. Too different for my tastes. It's not a bad version, but just the original was one of their best rockers.

"Friend of a Friend" is the fifth and last of the songs from In Your Honor's second disc. That makes for a third of Skin and Bones. That seems a bit much to me, and I realize the tour was to promote their most recent CD, but still for their first live CD, I'd rather a more balanced selection.

"Best of You" is the only song from that first disc of In Your Honor. It's a hard rocker, and sounds rather odd with Grohl's screaming vocals accompanied with only an acoustic guitar. For a new version, it really seems to subtract more than it adds.

"Everlong," my favorite by far of their songs, closes out the live CD. The electric guitars were so brilliant on the studio version, and the vocals were double-tracked. There's no way a live acoustic version is going to make me happy, because to me this is one of those "don't touch" songs. Of course, the live version gets the biggest reaction from the crowd, so I'm not alone in loving it. This version is just too bare for me. However, halfway through they do go electric and bring in the full band, piano, accordion, organ and all, giving the song new life. It's still a very emotional performance, so it's as close to a good version as it will come for me.

I'm not sure if I agree with their idea of going mostly acoustic. It's interesting to hear new takes on these classics, but at the same time, since I've never been able to see them live, I'd like to hear what it sounds like when they go all out electric.

For further reading:
The Foo Fighters' home page
All Music Guide's Foo Fighters entry
Wikipedia's Foo Fighters entry

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home